Lincoln’s downtown commercial district was officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 1, 2020. The district’s buildings date from between 1881 to 2001 with two-thirds of them being built by or before 1920.
Next door to the historic Cummins Block Building on the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Third street, sits another piece of Lincoln history restored. Craig and Mary Ann Stertz completed four years of restoration work and hosted an Open House in August for the community to see the finished work. (Courtesy photo)
Lincoln County and Kansas residents, travelers and readers from across the country now have the opportunity to take a closer look into Post Rock country with the latest online and print edition of the Live Lincoln County magazine.
After months of work, the 2017 Live Lincoln County magazine is here! Both print and online digital editions are now available.
Work is underway in Denmark, Kansas, to preserve the buildings representing the community’s early history and Danish heritage. | Photo credit: Jennifer McDaniel
Nearly $78,000 in grant funding was awarded to a dozen local non-profit organizations during the Post Rock Community Foundation’s fall grant reception. | Photo credit: Rita Sharp, Lucas-Sylvan News
After months of work, the new Live Lincoln County magazine is available in both print and online digital publication formats.
Nearly $10,000 in funding has been awarded to the Evangelical Lutheran School in Sylvan Grove to support portions of a much larger restoration effort | Photo by Kelly Larson
Opened in 2004, Lincoln resident Kathie Crispin, a life-long Girl Scout and leader, created the Girl Scout Museum with her own collection of scouting memorabilia.…
Lincoln County officially became a Kansas county in 1870. Early settlers staking their claims and fencing their property lines needed an affordable material to build their fences. In this area of Kansas, near the soil surface, is a layer of limestone rock that is easily quarried and breaks into manageable chunks. Long lines of Post Rock fence posts are still seen today bordering the pastures.
The area known as “Post Rock Country” stretches for approximately 200 miles from the Nebraska border on the north to Dodge City on the south. The limestone that is found here comes from the uppermost bed of the Greenhorn Formation. It was out of necessity that settlers in the late 1800s began turning back the sod and cutting posts from the layer of rock that lay underneath. By the mid-1880s limestone fence posts were in general use because of the widespread use of barbed wire.