On August 1st, 2020, Sylvan Grove’s downtown commercial district was officially listed in the Register of Historic Kansas Places! Of the 36 properties within the district, 20 of them were built within 1887-1930.
Lincoln’s downtown commercial district was officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 1, 2020. The district’s buildings date from between 1881 to 2001 with two-thirds of them being built by or before 1920.
A survey of Lincoln’s City Park has been completed to determine if the area would be eligible for any historic designations that could open up financial resources to the City to help maintain and improve the park.
Next door to the historic Cummins Block Building on the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Third street, sits another piece of Lincoln history restored. Craig and Mary Ann Stertz completed four years of restoration work and hosted an Open House in August for the community to see the finished work. (Courtesy photo)
After 50 years, the VFW Auxiliary’s all-volunteer Stop and Shop store is still donating profits back into the community to support local charitable projects and the country’s veterans. | Courtesy Photo
Since 1922, the former Lincoln High School has stood as a cornerstone of the community at the south end of 4th Street. Although it has largely sat vacant since the last class graduated from it in 1996, a group of local citizens organized the 1922 Foundation, a non-profit 501c(3), to purchase the building and work towards redeveloping the building into a new use.
The Barnard Post Office celebrated 135 years since it was established on May 18, 1882.
The Kansas Preservation Alliance awarded Jack and Kathie Crispin a 2017 Advocacy Award for Excellence for the rehabilitation of the Cummins Block Building in downtown Lincoln and for their work of promoting and preserving history through their museums. | Photo credit: Kelly Larson
After months of work, the 2017 Live Lincoln County magazine is here! Both print and online digital editions are now available.
A key to being successful in economic development is figuring out what makes us unique and capitalizing on it. We live in a beautiful part of the state with one of our most noteworthy features being our limestone buildings, fence rows, and structures. These are huge assets for us we can use to grow our economy.
Work is underway in Denmark, Kansas, to preserve the buildings representing the community’s early history and Danish heritage. | Photo credit: Jennifer McDaniel
The St. John and Bethlehem Lutheran churches in Lincoln and Sylvan Grove celebrated a milestone as both houses of worship observed their 135th anniversaries with special events and activities. | Photo credit: Tyler Gier
Jack Crispin, a long-time pharmacist who owned and operated Crispin Pharmacy in Lincoln for many years, opened Crispin’s Drug Store Museum in 2007. The museum,…
After months of work, the new Live Lincoln County magazine is available in both print and online digital publication formats.
This past month a new concrete foundation was poured for the Sylvan Grove Union Pacific Railroad Depot, replacing the crumbling underpinning supporting the last surviving depot in Lincoln County.
Nearly $10,000 in funding has been awarded to the Evangelical Lutheran School in Sylvan Grove to support portions of a much larger restoration effort | Photo by Kelly Larson
Historic Sylvan depot moved – Restoration begins with temporary relocation | Photo by Kelly Larson
This brochure, printed in 2001 by the Lincoln Art Center, is an adaptation of a 1937 original edition by Frank Arlo Cooper (1904-1968). It includes a hand-drawn map of many historical markers and locations of historical significance in Lincoln County.
Village Lines, owned by history buff and author Marilyn Helmer, is a store on Lincoln Avenue celebrating Kansas products and hospitality since 1986. This is…
Opened in 2004, Lincoln resident Kathie Crispin, a life-long Girl Scout and leader, created the Girl Scout Museum with her own collection of scouting memorabilia.…
The Lincoln County Historical Society was organized in 1940 to collect and preserve historical material from the area and to promote the heritage of Lincoln…
The Sylvan Historical Society stages their annual Community Day the first Sunday in June each year in Sylvan Grove’s City Park. Bring your lawn chair and…
Lincoln County officially became a Kansas county in 1870. Early settlers staking their claims and fencing their property lines needed an affordable material to build their fences. In this area of Kansas, near the soil surface, is a layer of limestone rock that is easily quarried and breaks into manageable chunks. Long lines of Post Rock fence posts are still seen today bordering the pastures.
The area known as “Post Rock Country” stretches for approximately 200 miles from the Nebraska border on the north to Dodge City on the south. The limestone that is found here comes from the uppermost bed of the Greenhorn Formation. It was out of necessity that settlers in the late 1800s began turning back the sod and cutting posts from the layer of rock that lay underneath. By the mid-1880s limestone fence posts were in general use because of the widespread use of barbed wire.