The Placemaking Grant Program is intended to provide an extra boost to volunteer efforts that will continue revitalizing Lincoln County through “placemaking” projects that will either 1) create new amenities for residents, or 2) enhance local attractions for the coming Big Kansas Road Trip (BKRT) in May 2-5, 2024.
“Placemaking” projects are those that create or improve public spaces or recreation areas where people enjoy gathering such as downtowns, parks, or neighborhoods. These projects demonstrate pride and a commitment towards making our communities better for future generations. Examples of placemaking projects include murals and public art, walking paths and bike trails, benches and flowerpots, and streetscape improvements and holiday lights among many other ideas.
Projects associated with enhancing local attractions for the BKRT are those that provide a better experience for visitors exploring the region. Examples include installing signage and information kiosks or improving parking or sidewalk access to entrances.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a monthly basis until all funds are committed. Grants are up to $5,000. All projects must be complete by December 31, 2023. Funding is from the Office of Rural Prosperity at the Kansas Department of Commerce.
The rolling deadline for applications is:
- August 7th by Noon – For review at August LCEDF board meeting
- September 8th by Noon – For review at September LCEDF board meeting
UPDATE: AS OF SEPTEMBER 13, ALL FUNDS HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED. Applications are no longer being accepted.
Applications will be scored on the following criteria:
- What is the need for the project? Does the project address a well-established public need or priority often discussed by a city council or county commission or fit within a larger community master plan and goals (i.e. Strategic Doing, Active Living Master Plan, etc.)
- What is the project’s visibility and impact to improve our communities?
- Does the project create a new amenity for residents or enhance a local attraction that has potential to attract people into the county?
- Is the funding in place to complete the project by the end of the year?
- What is the applicant’s ability to complete the project by the end of the year?