Lincoln County Courthouse

The current Lincoln County Courthouse was constructed after the original 1873 stone building, built by Myron D. Green, was completely destroyed by fire on the night of December 7, 1898.

Three architects were considered for the new courthouse and after examining their plans, C.W. Squires of Emporia was employed. Squires estimated the construction would cost $18,322. The courthouse was made of Lincoln County stone, quarried, hauled, trimmed and put into position by Lincoln County men. The total cost for construction was less than $20,000, and an additional $5,000 covered furnishings, vaults and heating. The building was built completely debt-free by using insurance proceeds and special railroad taxes.

The dedication ceremony for the new building was held Thursday, September 6, 1900.

Today the courthouse is still the main location for Lincoln County business. In addition to the meeting location of the Board of County Commissioners, the Lincoln County Courthouse also houses the business offices including the County Clerk, County Treasurer, DMV, Register of Deeds and Appraiser’s Office. The upper floor is dedicated to the courtroom, the Magistrate Judge, Clerk of the Court, and the County Attorney. The basement offices include the Emergency Manager, Economic Development Foundation, and meeting spaces.

Address: 216 E. Lincoln Ave., Lincoln, KS 67455 
Listed in the Register of Historic Kansas Places: 07-13-1976
Architecture Classification: Richardsonian Romanesque

See the nomination for this historic limestone building, and others in Lincoln County on the Kansas State Historical Society website.

Read more about the history of the Lincoln County Courthouse.

Native limestone Lincoln County Courthouse and memorial statues in Lincoln, KS.
Abraham Lincoln Look-A-Like contest during the Annual Lincoln Reenactment in front of the historic limestone Lincoln County Courthouse.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.livelincolncounty.com/lincoln-county-courthouse/