Historic Sylvan depot moved
Restoration begins with temporary relocation
The historic depot in Sylvan Grove was moved from it’s foundation October 29, by Unruh House Moving of Moundridge, Kan. The depot was moved so the foundation could be improved as part of a restoration effort organized by the Sylvan Grove Historical Society.
Wanting to preserve the building, the society’s historical preservation committee decided to temporarily move the building aside and place a proper concrete foundation on the site.
The restoration project is being funded in part by a $41,500 Heritage Trust Fund grant from the Kansas Historical Society, along with a $5,000 grant from the Post Rock Community Foundation.
The depot, located at 131 S. Main in Sylvan Grove, was purchased by the Sylvan Grove Historical Society in 2005.
(Photos by Kelly Larson, Lincoln County Economic Development Director)
(From the Kansas Historical Society database)
The Sylvan Grove Union Pacific Depot was built in 1887 and is an example of a combination depot, meaning it served both freight and passenger needs. This rail line was originally known as the Salina, Lincoln & Western Railway Line, which later became a part of the Union Pacific Railroad. The depot is located at the south end of Sylvan Grove’s Main Street and is in its original location. The depot closed in 1968 and the rails on either side of the building were removed following the 1993 flood. The wood-frame building is an example of a standardized late-19th century combination depot with minimal ornamentation, though the eave brackets and gable-end embellishments reflect the Victorian-era Stick style. It was nominated as part of the “Historic Railroad Resources of Kansas” multiple property nomination for its local significance in the areas of transportation and architecture.
Sylvan Grove Union Pacific Depot Nomination to the National Register of Historic Places