Menu Close

CDBG Housing Grant for the City of Lincoln


The City of Lincoln has been awarded a housing grant through the “Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) – Housing Rehabilitation” program coordinated by the KS Department of Commerce. The CDBG grant will help property owners with the demolition of dilapidated structures and the rehabilitation of owner- and renter-occupied houses by replacing roofs, windows and siding, adding insulation, repairing foundations, upgrading electrical and mechanical systems, repairing porches, etc.

Program Information

Eligibility Requirements

For housing rehabilitation projects, the following requirements must be met:

  • The property owner meets income qualifications (not required for demolition projects).
  • If the property is a rental, the owner doesn’t need to meet income qualifications but the tenant must.
  • All property taxes and utilities must be current on the property.
  • The property requires $1,000-25,000 in improvements to be rehabilitated to Housing Quality Standards (HQS).  If the property requires more than $25,000 in improvements, the property owner will need to provide additional funds towards the project or the property is not eligible.
  • Property owner must insure the property for at least three (3) years after completion of the project and name the City of Lincoln as co-insured.
  • Property owner must sign a 3-year soft loan and/or rental unit agreement at final application time.

For demolition projects, the following requirements must be met:

  • All property taxes and utilities must be current on the property.
  • Owner will be responsible for seeding and mowing the lot after demolition.
  • All items of value must be removed from the house.

Ineligible Activities

  • Improvements to mobile homes
  • Remodeling
  • Improvements being completed by the property owner him/herself

Application Process & Target Area

A public meeting was held in the Spring, 2021, to go over the program and to accept pre-applications by property owners to determine the level of interest and need for CDBG Housing grant funds. Due to the high level of interest, as the City prepared their grant application to the Kansas Department of Commerce they defined a ‘target area’ to focus the funds should they be awarded a grant. By having a target area, the City’s grant application scored more competitively against all the other applications the KDOC received because the project would have a much higher visual impact in a smaller area than it would if the funds were spread out across the city. The target area is:

On February 10th, the KS Department of Commerce announced the City of Lincoln received a CDBG Housing grant.  Over the next few months, the City will be finalizing grant paperwork before they are able to begin accepting applications from property owners within the Target Area.  Property owners who submitted pre-applications last spring (used for grant application planning purposes) will need to submit a full application to be considered for funds.  Applications will be posted to this webpage when they are available.

For questions, contact either Keegan Bailey, Housing Director at the North Central Regional Planning Commission in Beloit at 800-432-0303 or Kelly Gourley, Director of the Lincoln County Economic Development Foundation at 785-524-8954.

Share this Page:

Related Posts